St. Bernadette School
80 University Blvd East
Silver Spring, MD 20901
Tel: (301) 593-5611
Fax: (301) 593-9042
Emergency and Weather Contingency Plans
- Information regarding late openings, early dismissals, or school closings will be announced over local radio and TV stations. They will also be posted on the school's website.
- St. Bernadette School follows the decisions of the Montgomery County Public School System for school closings, early dismissals, and delayed openings.
- If St. Bernadette School is scheduled to have a 12:15 p.m. dismissal and it is announced that Montgomery County Schools are opening two hours late, St. Bernadette School will open two hours late with a 3:05 p.m. dismissal.
- When emergency situations arise that would affect only St. Bernadette school, parents/guardians will be contacted by the homeroom parent phone tree. Radio and TV stations will also announce any changes in normal operating hours. The school website will also reflect the change.
- Announcements concerning any changes to our normal operating schedule/procedure will be available on our automatic telephone attendant and our school website. In addition, parents who have registered their e-mail address using the News Flash on the office website will automatically receive an e-mail notification.
- Parents/guardians are required to complete an "Inclement Weather Procedure" form, which informs the school of the procedure the child is to follow.
- In case of an unplanned early dismissal, the "Inclement Weather Procedure" will be followed.
St. Bernadette School Crisis Plan has been approved by the Catholic Schools Office and is located in the school office.
If there are extreme weather conditions at the time of dismissal, the students will remain in the building until it is safe to commence the dismissal procedure.
In the event that a crisis requires evacuation, our designed safe place is either the church grounds or into the church until the building is once again safe. If circumstances warrant, the students may be taken to Pine Crest School located at 201 Woodmoor Drive. In the case of a need to Shelter in Place, the students will gather in the third floor classrooms and students will not be released to parents or guardians until the crisis has passed. We follow the guidelines set forth by the Catholic Schools Office and Montgomery County Public School during Code Orange and/or Red Alerts as set by Homeland Security.