St. Bernadette School
80 University Blvd East
Silver Spring, MD 20901
Tel: (301) 593-5611
Fax: (301) 593-9042
The Silver Spring Post on September 21, 1946, carried an architect's perspective of a proposed group of parish buildings, consisting of school, convent, church and rectory. It was estimated that the whole plant would cost two hundred thousand dollars. Just precisely when construction began on the school and convent is not clearly revealed in the existing records.
The parishioners supported the construction of the parish buildings from the inception of the enterprise. This is evidenced by an apology being made from the pulpit on Sunday, October 5, 1946, for not providing enough collection envelopes.
On Sunday, September 7, 1947, the parishioners of St. Bernadette Church were invited to inspect the new school. The next day after 9:00 morning Mass, St. Bernadette School opened its doors to receive 238 pupils. Four sisters from the Third Order of St. Francis at Glen Riddle, Pennsylvania, began teaching students from kindergarten through the third grade. Grades were added each year with the first class of 47 students graduating from the eighth grade in June 1959. The first principal was Sister Mary Emma.
The student body of the school reflects the varied ethnic backgrounds of our community. The wealth of diversity enriches the lives of all our students. St. Bernadette's students continue to excel academically; several students are awarded scholarships each year to Catholic high schools, and many students participate in various honors programs.
(Information taken from the 1983 Directory and History of St. Bernadette, and from the 50th Anniversary booklet printed in 1994.)